Did you know that your regular dental checkup can include an oral cancer screening? Screenings are a vital part of your oral health. Oral cancer can easily go undetected for a long time; that is why it is important to get a screening. Over 40,000 people are diagnosed with oral cancer every year. If caught early enough, oral cancer has a high recovery rate. Here are some symptoms to watch out for at home. If any of these persist for more than 2 weeks, call your dentist.
– Lumps, thick patches, or swelling, in or around your mouth or throat
– Red or white lesions in your mouth or on your lips
– Feeling like you have an object stuck in your throat, or a lump.
– Sores anywhere in your mouth that don’t go away within 2 weeks, or that are larger than 1 cm
– Numbness, tenderness, pain, or swelling anywhere in your mouth (this includes your tongue)
– If one of your ears hurts, but without any loss of hearing
– If you have trouble moving your jaw or tongue
– Problems with chewing, swallowing, or speaking
– A lingering sore throat
– Loose teeth with no other apparent cause.
If you would like more information or would like to schedule an oral cancer screening in Modesto, California, call Pelandale Dental Care at (209) 545-9489. Dr. Parampal Gill and our team look forward to seeing you!