If you have ever caught yourself clenching your teeth without thinking about it, you may be under the effects of bruxism. Bruxism often happens while you are asleep, but can occur while awake. The condition consists of clenching or grinding your teeth, which over time can result in a wide array of ailments including damaged teeth, jaw pain, and even sleeping disorders.
You may have bruxism and not even know it. Listed below are some common warning signs and conditions that could be the result of bruxism:
– You can wear down your teeth by unconsciously grinding, clenching, and gnashing them, which can damage your smile, resulting in a noticeable, flat look to your teeth.
– If you have teeth that appear to be damaged but you are unsure from what, the root cause may be bruxism.
– You may have bruxism if you have jaw or face pain, sensitive teeth, dull headaches in your temple area, and tissue damage to the insides of your cheeks.
– Sleep disorders including snoring and sleep apnea can be caused by bruxism.
– Severe or debilitating stress in adults can often lead to bruxism.
Treatment options for individuals with bruxism include mouth guards, muscle relaxant medications, meditative workouts and exercises, and other stress relievers. If you would like Dr. Param Gill and our team at Pelandale Dental Care to bring you in for an oral health examination, please contact our dentist office in Modesto, California, by calling us at (209) 545-9489. The path to a healthy smile starts today!